Sunday, September 23, 2007

Reflecting on what could have been

So after all the hype, analysis, 14 gm's biting their fingernails in anticipation of what could be a francise saver... what comes to your mind when you think of Greg Oden? Shouldn't it be "savior", "likable", "finally" etc? But now all I can think of is "what could have been", "sam bowie", and "not again". When I heard about the microfracture surgery, it really hit close to home. As an NBA fan, this is a worst case scenario. How could this happen? I was so excited to see "Durant vs Oden". Now the tables have completely turned.

The biggest problem is the Portland could've been soooo good. I love Brandon Roy. I love LaMarcus Aldridge. I love Josh McRoberts. And I LOVE SERGIO RODRIGUEZ! I honestly think this guy is the next Steve Nash. He's so good! They still have Channing Frye. And Jarret Jack. But honestly, their whole future was Greg Oden. I just don't know what to think now.

Now still, I have to say I though Oden was a little overrated. I projected him to be a 21/12/4 guy in his prime, which is still very respectable. Now, I can see him topping out at 16/9/2. He relied SO much on his explosiveness, and now it's gone. I honestly think people are underrating how devastating this injury is. However, they could end up getting a player like OJ Mayo in next years draft, and how crazy would that be? Oden and Mayo on the same team. All they'd have to do is trade for LeBron and they'd have the 3 most hyped high schoolers ever.

I think that Greg Oden is a class act. Have you checked out his blog? he's very warm and easy to like. It's so unfortunate that a guy that could've been a savior of the NBA has to go down with such a hard injury. Oh well. Here's to hoping that Durant lives up to the hype!

No comments: